When Should You Hire a Florida Workers' Compensation Attorney?
When you have been injured while at work, you are entitled to have your medical costs taken care of through your employer's workers’ compensation insurance. Depending on how long you are out of work you could also be able to obtain a portion of your wages through your Florida workers’ compensation claim. Even though victims who work with a Florida workers’ compensation attorney from the start will have a better chance of having their claims approved, shortening the time it takes to obtain benefits, and receiving on average 30% more in their settlement than those who do not you still decide to file your claim on your own.
There is no law stating that you need an attorney to file a Florida workers’ compensation claim. However, there are several benefits to working with an attorney. Florida workers’ compensation laws can be confusing and the paperwork is overwhelming for many. The process itself can be arduous at best. If you initially decide to file your claim on your own, you may encounter some challenges which could change your mind.
What Situations are Better Handled by an Attorney?
When you are trying to obtain your much-needed workers’ compensation benefits you are likely to find the prospect very challenging. Certain situations can arise which are better handled by a Tallahassee workers’ compensation attorney. There are also situations that you think you may have handled properly, but the insurance company used your information against you to either settle for less than you deserve or deny your claim. When any of the following happen, it is best to have the guidance and support of a legal professional:
- The insurance adjuster is hard to reach and will not return your calls.
- The insurance adjuster has asked you to provide them with a recorded statement. Depending on what you say, your own words could be twisted to jeopardize your claim and devalue it. It is best not to make any recorded statement until you have spoken with your lawyer. If you have already made a statement and then hired a lawyer, make sure to tell your lawyer so that the statement can be examined.
- When you are injured so severely you have to stay in the hospital or you need extensive medical treatment.
- If you are unable to get your employer to set you up with a medical evaluation because they are not connecting with the insurance company and reporting your accident.
- The treatment or recovery program that the workers’ compensation doctor is prescribing is not being authorized.
- The insurance company wants you to accept a settlement. The insurance companies have their own attorneys supporting their efforts, you should have one supporting yours. Having an attorney negotiating on your behalf will allow you to be sure that you will sign off on a fair settlement, not one that is much less than what you need.
- If your employer is trying to intimidate or harass you because of your claim or if they fire you after your accident it is time to speak with a lawyer.
Speak with a Tallahassee Workers’ Compensation Attorney
Stephen M. Andrews knows the workers’ compensation laws in Florida. He will protect your legal rights and fight on your behalf so that you get the benefits you need. Call Stephen M. Andrews’ Tallahassee workers’ compensation law firm to schedule a free consultation at (850) 906-9599.
Deprecated: Function WP_Query was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 3.1.0! caller_get_posts is deprecated. Use ignore_sticky_posts instead. in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 6031